Sunday, March 9, 2008

Where's Daddy?

I'm lucky. My husband only travels once a year for his job and only for a few days at that. He is gone this week for 4 days and I already miss him terribly. I missed hearing Brock cry and both of us trying to outsleep the other to see who will break down first and go get him. I certainly missed him at church as I drug both kids out of the meeting after an intense wrestling match on the pew. I missed not having anyone to tell me that my dinner creation was much appreciated. The boys missed having their daddy to chase them and throw them around on the couch. I really missed his help when it was time to put the kids to bed. I didn't like cleaning up the mess of the day all by myself. But what I miss most of all is just being with him. Kedrick came out of his bed to listen for any noise that might be daddy coming home. I guess I've been doing the same thing. I'm piddling around the house because it just feels weird to go to sleep without spending the evening with my best friend talking about nothing and everything. I know, it's pathetic. Just three more days!

On a happier note, Brock went to nursery for the first time today! Wooohoo! He cried after I left, and then fell asleep pretty much for the rest of it. I felt so free!! I don't get it....he is the lightest sleeper at home but can sleep in the midst of a bunch of kids playing?

6 comments:

Melissa said...

I feel the same way when Jeff is gone. I realized it wasn't so much the help (though it is appreciated when he is there) but it is just the talking and hanging out at night that I miss. It is so dang quiet at night when he is gone.

Melissa said...

OH, and congrats on Brock getting to nursery. Truly momentous.

Kimberly said...

Luckily, I have rarely experienced having Devon gone overnight, but I can totally relate. It just makes you feel so off-balance or something. I am so glad Brock is old enough for nursery. Blake fell asleep in nursery, one day, too, and just couldn't understand how he could just pass out and sleep for them when he doesn't do that for me (at church that is)!

Unknown said...

I hope Kevin reads this. A singular tribute. I have heard of many children sleeping in nursery and wonder why none of them slept when I was called to nursery. Ho ho. Of interest, I remember small beds against the wall of my childhood ward nursery.

Tribe M said...

I feel for you. Lance is gone every night until 11pm now and it's really hard. You took the words right out of my mouth about the missing part, not so much the helping. That was a really cute post. That's exciting that Brock is in nursery. I can't believe he's old enough. I still think of him as a baby. Funny that he slept! I've never seen any kids sleep through nursery! (oh yeah that is nap time.) I miss our ward- our kids are the loudest here and everyone turns around and looks at us because of Jackson's gremlin noises. At least we blended in a little bit before.

Melissa said...

I'm just going to have to start re-posting comments on your old blog. I am just kidding but just came by to check. Like you aren't busy with barfing or anything. Hope everyone is feeling better.