Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Sugar or Cake?

My whole life I have preferred sugar cones. To be offered a cake cone was disheartening at best. Don't get me wrong, not that I would turn it down or anything but a cake cone? A month or so ago I found myself in one of those cake cone or bowl situations and opted for the cone. I haven't been the same since. All of a sudden I prefer the cake cone. So easy to eat, so light and pleasantly crunchy, bows humbly next to the ice cream not trying to call attention to itself. I feel shameful for having slighted it for so long. Last night I stood in front of the cone selection at the grocer in quite the conundrum. I wanted a cake cone but of course nobody likes them so I had no choice really but to buy both. Such an extravagance.

3 comments:

apple slice said...

I was raised by a father who thought sugar was the only option for a cone. On the occasion I've had the cake cones, I am stunned by the light and airy and non-sweetness of it. You are accurate to insist they do not compete with an excellent filling. We would do well to choose cone by filling flavor.

Melissa said...

I think I was a sugar cone as a girl but now I go with cake because it doesn't take as long to eat. I've gotten lazier or somethingt. Thank you so much for sending Jeff's driver's license and for your cute note. Next time you guys will have to come on vacation with us so we can share in the joy of vacationing with toddlers. It has been fun but interesting too. Definately less sleep than normal. I love your blogs. Keep them up.

Krustee said...

apple slice, perhaps you are right. I recently had a rich chocolate in a cake cone and it was perfect but a few days later a plain vanilla in the same cake cone seemed lacking.