Thursday, May 29, 2008

Remembering Memorial Day


We took a one day vacation for Memorial Day. Not even stopping to think what Memorial Day was about, we decided to head down to Pt. Loma to see the lighthouse and visit the tide-pools. It took us a while to figure out what all the traffic was about and why all the flags on all the graves. And then it donned on us. I felt clever for stumbling upon such an appropriate acitivity. It was humbling to look out over all the headstones of so many who have given their life for my freedom.



We had such a good time in the morning, we decided not to go home for naps and to make a day of it. We spent the afternoon touring all the ships along the waterfront. We finally used the tickets you gave us to the maritime museum Mom and Dad. Thank you!

By the time we headed home we were all hungry and had no plans for dinner. We stopped and got Thrifty Chocolate Malted Crunch ice-cream, took it home and made dinner out of it. The boys were in heaven! Who am I kidding, so was I!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I loved our trip to Point Loma too. Such great views. I'll have to try that ice cream sometime. How sweet you stumbled upon the gaves. I remember that now from when we were driving up. There were thousands. So sad.

apple slice said...

again, awesome images. stumbling on great days is rare and magical. in addition to my smore, i now need ice cream.