Thursday, January 8, 2009

Thoughtful Extravagance

Ok, so the other day I had to stop at the grocery store to buy some Disneyland 2Fer tickets (no not for me, sigh). Out walks a man carrying a plastic wrapped bunch of flowers. The wheels start turning. How nice, he got his wife flowers, or maybe not so nice. He had nothing else which means this was a special stop to get the flowers. Perhaps these are apology flowers. Is he sincere or are these just "here are some flowers, get over it" apology flowers? Or maybe he really is just thoughtful and on the way home just wanted to do something for her. Perhaps it is a special occasion, but if that was the case he might be in trouble. The flowers he chose definitely did not say special occasion. At any rate I had to hold myself back from hopping out of the car and running over to tell him that the presentation of the flowers was just as important as the flowers themselves. Remove the plastic wrap, trim them down, remove damaged foliage and petals, display them properly and present them at the right moment. You can imagine my total shock when I arrived home later than I should have, found the house quiet and boys in bed and a lovely vase of pink roses sitting in the middle of the table. The plastic wrap and trimmings had been disposed of and there were clippers on the counter, evidence of the extra effort exerted on the presentation. Thank you Kevin!! What a wonderful surprise!

9 comments:

Marie' said...

You lucky girl! Sounds a lot better than my last Costco trip where Scott said, "Hey, can I just by you your valentine flowers now?"

apple slice said...

Ok, so cute! I love the extra touch you cited and the fact that Kevin delivered in a big way. I will now utter a pet peeve. Babies breath. I used to be fine with it but now insist plants and flowers be pure, unaccompanied.

Nate and Jenae said...

I should make sure Nate reads this. I can't remember the last time he gave me flowers! He thinks they are too unpractical. In his defense, he does find other ways to make up for it, but flowers now and then would be nice.

Nate and Jenae said...

Suprise! Nate went to play basketball this morning and when he came home he gave me flowers for Valentines Day! So I guess I should apologize for my comments yesterday. They were still in the plastic with the rubberbands around them still, however, I will accept that since I'm sure it'll be a while before I get flowers again.

Kimberly said...

Little things like that always make my day!

Melissa said...

So I came to your blog to get your address for my new template and found you had updated in January without me knowing it. So yeah, I get to read something new from you even though it is really old! :) Update your blog girl. You need to post pictures of Kedrick at swimming lessons.

Anonymous said...

KB - How are you doing?!?? Found this from a lovely link from someone elses (ahhh six degrees of separation). We are back in SD, thank goodness we have left the frozeness behind. Obviously you don't blog too often, but I thought I'd still say your little ones are totally cute. Glad to see you are well.

Sarah DeHart

soybeanlover said...

Wow, just found you guys. I've always wondered what you two(and now it seems four) are up to! Your boys are super cute, and sound like a lot of fun.

I'd say 'update please!', but I know how crazy life is with two boys.

-Nicole not-so-Ohler-anymore

J said...

Kristen, Jemma just gave me this link to your blog. How are you? I would love to catch up!! I keep a blog too so you can check out my clan if you want. Your boys are adorable!!