Friday, September 14, 2007

Mangoes

It is no secret that I have a passion for mangoes. But a few days into my mission in the Philippines, I sampled my first mango. Ok, techinically I had eaten one mango my senior year in high school but the two pieces of fruit were so different it hardly seems fitting to give them the same name. I'll never forget standing in my apartment as a new missionary feeling so forlorn and well, terrified really and tasting for the first time, a real mango. It was like eating sunshine. I didn't want the moment to end. Who knows how long I sucked on that pit trying to extract every last bit of flavor. It has been called the queen of all fruits, for good reason. My companion promised there would be other mangoes and eventually convinced me to give up the pit. Some things are too good to let go.

1995 the Guinness Book of World records listed the Philippine mango from Carabao as the sweetest fruit in the world.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Did you know you can buy frozen cut up mangoes at Trader Joe's. We got those a few weeks ago and they were really good. Nicky kept eating them frozen. I got to get some more cuz she keeps asking for them. They are really yummy. We don't eat the pits though.