Sunday, January 13, 2008

Half Love

I thought I had done a pretty good job of helping Kedrick adjust to the adition of his new little brother until we had this lunch conversation the other day:

Me: I love you Kedrick!
Kedrick: No! No you can't!
Me: Yes I can and I do, I love you , I love you, I love you!
Kedrick: (visibly agitated) No Mom! You love Brock. Dad loves me.
Me: I love Brock and I love Kedrick. I love both of you and so does Dad.
Kedrick: No, you love Brock and Dad loves me.

this goes on for about twenty minutes...then exasperated Kedrick tries to reason with me:

Kedrick: You can't have us both Mom. You can just have half Mom. Like this (showing a chopping motion). Not both. You can't have all of us. You can just love Brock and I love Daddy and Daddy loves me. That's it mom. You just can have half!

We'll have to work on that transition a little more!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh that is so sad and he articulates his feelings so well. What will you do with this information? I often wonder if Nicky feels short changed sometimes because Andy does get a lot of attention. She never says but sometimes I get the feeling...

apple slice said...

He is a well-loved study. Though his heart belongs to mommy, I am glad he loves his daddy so much.

apple slice said...

It is times like these when I'm glad I'm not a shrink. I wouldn't sleep at night.

Krustee said...

I've been trying to explain the concept in terms of how he loves both of his blue blankies. When he caught on to where I was going with it he said, "okay, stop talking mommy."

shortbus said...

ooooohhh, my Kedericko!