Thursday, January 10, 2008

Reasons for Cake

Yesterday I went to Wal-Mart with the wee ones. Anxious to be done with the experience I was naturally looking for the quickest way out. I spotted a short line, but the cashier looked like someone who would be slow. I went to a longer line and then decided to return to the slow cashier. She was indeed slow but worth the extra time. She commented on every item and entertained the children. She gave me the health status on the 300 plus workers at her location. I was purchasing vanilla frosting. She asked if I had tried the cream cheese. She was quite passionate about it. She makes a cake one time a year, chocolate with cream cheese frosting to celebrate her husband's alcoholic anniversary. This is his 30th sober year. She is proud beyond words of her husband. She taught me a lot about marriage in those few moments. I would like a piece of her cake.

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

You gotta love those WalMart experts! There is this check-out clerk at Target that I always try to avoid when I shop there because he is just so weird! He sounds very similar to this lady, but not in a fun way.

apple slice said...

A beautiful experience. I applaud you both.

Krustee said...

Kimberly,
I know just who you are talking about at Target!

Melissa said...

Wow, I have never gotten a talkative cashier. I must not look friendly or maybe my kids are annoying. They usually just give us stickers and rush out my receipt.