Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Getting Ready for Christmas








First the visit to Santa at the Ward Christmas party....Kedrick, planted himself first in line in anxious anticipation of his few moments with Santa. A rush of older kids not noticing him, ran up and formed a new line when Santa finally arrived. Kedrick, undaunted by the others, pushed ahead and ran straight up to Santa. He knew what question was coming and had his response ready, "another train." Brock on the other hand was a deer in the headlights and froze up. When the big question came he responded "Two" with a frozen look on his face. I assume when he realized he had no idea what Santa had just asked him he defaulted to the response to the most common question he gets, "how old are you?" Or maybe he just meant, "whatever you bring, bring two so we don't have to fight over it."

Gathering with the cousins to view the Light Parade on Boats at Sea Port Village.















We gathered with our friends for a Christmas Eve Rehearsel Dinner complete with ham and twice baked potatoes. Most the kids ran wild except the three oldest who did their best at acting out the Nativity. Kedrick took on the role of Joseph, Nicky completely immersed herself in her role as Mary and Jaron stood proudly as an angel declaring his joyful message. Mary and Joseph had some difference of opinion on how to care for baby Jesus. Mary wanted him in the cradle, Joseph wanted to take him out. Mary, calmly but resolutely closed the lid of the box Jesus was sleeping in and perched herself on top. Joseph was at a loss and wandered off.
Christmas Eve was spent with family at my sister's house in Carlsbad. My parents had come down from Utah. We feasted, white elephanted and listened to Luke 2. Acting out the Nativity just didn't happen, instead there was a giant wrestling match with all the cousins. They were tamed long enough however to listen to a large story book version of Luke 2. Kedrick was impressed by how big the angel was. His cousin Jacob wanted to know if Jesus was in charge and who was the boss of Jesus.







Kedrick was concerned about what kind of milk we should leave with the cookies for Santa. Does he like Mommy and Daddy's milk or the kids' milk? He recommended we keep Santa's glass of milk in the fridge so it wouldn't go bad. He drank sour milk once, it left an impression. Brock was smiles all night.
It's been fun trying to focus more on the true meaning of Christmas this year. Kedrick especially is really understanding so much more and it is so amazing to watch them learn to pray and develop their own understanding. I have to say though, I was a bit stumped when he wanted details on how exactly Jesus came out of Mary's tummy and wouldn't accept any of my general and vague responses. I said I would ask daddy and get back to him. Thankfully he accepted that.

3 comments:

Marie' said...

Oh, you are in big trouble. Kedrick is way too smart. I don't know what I would say if Kai asked me and wanted detailed facts. My mom showed me her friend's c-section scar when I asked. It was back when they cut vertically and the scar was pretty gross. I never asked again.

Melissa said...

Once again, great pictures. You write the best updates. This one had me laughing the whole way through. Nicky hasn't asked how the baby comes out but she knows it hurts. I've made sure she knows that. Maybe that is why there have been no questions.

apple slice said...

Ok, too much. I love the "two" answer. Terrific. Nice to see the family. You have a great life.