Friday, December 5, 2008

Turkey Tidbits

Someday I will cook my own turkey dinner, but not this year. We traveled to Prescott to enjoy giving thanks with Kevin's family. Kedrick and Brock thought it was about the most exciting thing we had ever done. Both slept for about 20 minutes of the 8 hour drive over. Despite what all reason would lead you to conclude, the ride was a delight. The boys traveled the best they ever have. Some other happy moments...

Kristen:
  • Sleeping in the morning after we arrived! I take advantage of the fact that I know the first morning Kevin won't mind getting up because he'll be so excited to see his family...not that I am not excited but ya know, got to sleep when you can!
  • Eating a huge and delicious meal that I have shamefully had little to do with. Highlights this year included the homemade pumpkin pie and particularly delicious deviled eggs.
Kevin:

  • Playing basketball at the church with his brothers and sisters, a long-time standing day after thanksgiving tradition.

  • Hiding out in his dad's office for hours on end "helping his dad with computer stuff."
  • Teaching his boys all about Prescott landmarks and memories and watching them fall in love with the town.
Kedrick:

  • Hiking to Thumb Butte, carefully avoiding the treacherous cactus. He surprised us by his stamina and desire to keep climbing! I knew there was a mountaineer deep inside him!

  • Playing with Grandma's train table. Kedrick deduced that grandma must REALLY like trains because why else would she have a train table??

  • Running reckless and napless for days with his cousins he doesn't see nearly enough.
Brock:

  • Thumb Butte hike proved a winner but he took it in from a higher vantage point, Kevin is so good about carrying the boys and NEVER complaining.

  • Going to see the annual gingerbread house display and discovering a model railroad display. Prying the boys away was no easy task!

  • Getting acquainted with Bailey, the doggy member of the Hawkins family. He wasn't quite sure how to handle the puppy energy and vascilated between being terrified of and in love with Bailey. In the end, the love overtook. His last moments he spent trying to make Bailey drink out of his sippy cup. A generous good will offering.

3 comments:

Marie' said...

Kevin's family has deviled eggs for Thanksgiving? That is one of my favorite things to make and eat. Kristen, you look great! Your workout is paying off, I am sure!

Melissa said...

I have to admit that when I read about Kevin playing basketball it gives me shivers. Looks like it was all very fun. I'm going to have to go somewhere where I don't have to cook next year.

apple slice said...

Ok, sounds marvelous. I'm so glad you were hosted for the holiday. :) The image of you is phenom. The boys are too much. I love deviled eggs as well. A great vacation for all!